Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Japan: The Daily Grind

You know, recently it seems like things that were new! Exciting! And just plain STRANGE have become everyday to me.

But with recent [well-intentioned] nagging for blog updates, it has finally occurred to my abysmally slow mind that although it is no longer something amazing to me--there are many readers who are waiting on every word and image I post. "What is life LIKE there?" "What do you EAT for DINNER?" "How in the WORLD do you HANDLE TRAINS?"

Things like that have become so happenstance to me that it just seems inconsequential to blog about it.

This is a DIRE mistake of course, [as kindly pointed out by a pair of unnamed shoulder-angels] as I will most certainly want to look back on my feelings and impressions of this trip.

That said, this is a normal rush-hour train. It's something that is completely normal to me at this point. I don't get uncomfortable being squished against people I don't know, nor am I terribly angry when I don't get to sit down for 20 minutes at a time [my legs still protest though]. Elevators are much the same, though there is a certain etiquette that should be followed for those.

1. If you are first in the elevator, hold the "door open" button until all are safely inside. [The door open and door close buttons actually work in elevators in Japan.]

2. Ask what floor everyone is getting off on and press the appropriate buttons.

3. As soon as all are off on their floor, press the "door close" button to waste no time in going up or down.

Sounds like common sense, but it was a bit surprising to have someone hold the door for me the first few times. Also, if you are the one holding the door, you're the last one off when you get to your floor since you took on the duty of controlling the elevator.

Only the i-house has an elevator this awesome, however.



Purchase of the week:

'Tis indeed teh Yaoi

No comments:

Post a Comment